All Posts

To see all flags published, click here.

Oct 29, 2013

Virginia

Sorry for the absence of exact eight months, really! I'll try to post with much more frequence.

Today, the state is the Commonwealth of Virginia, a case of more of the same i.e. a seal on a blue cloth:


[Current flag - Designer unknown, seal by George Wythe and others]

My first idea is a flag in red and blue with a white chevron, resembling the "V" of Virginia:


[Proposed flag - My design]

This flag is effective, but something that bother me is the similarity with the flag of NAVA (North America Vexillological Association). So I adapted it a little, to obtain the following result:


[Proposed flag - My design]

The "V" letter was rotated to make room to the addition of a Phrygian cap, an anti-monarchist and republican symbol, what's a reference to the obverse of the seal (present on current flag) and even appears on the reverse.

My only fear is that the reference isn't as obvious as I suppose. What's your opinion about it?

Comments are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed browsing through your ideas, and have found many to be an improvement (especially over the current cluster of seal on a blue background). However, as a native Virginian, I feel you missed the mark on this one. Just an initial feels like a cop-out that ignores the rich history of the Commonwealth. While I appreciate the idea of the Phrygian cap, I think its meaning would be lost on most people....and it looks more like a winter toboggan or an old-fashioned leather football helmet.

    ReplyDelete